Well we have been in our new house a few days now. The funny thing about a "new to you house" is that you notice a lot of things you didn't notice before, when you were looking at it, considering buying it. There have been some things we love, and some things that drive us crazy.
One thing that is going to take some adjusting is that there is very little storage space in the bathrooms. Our old house had tons. All (four) of the bathrooms here have minimal space to put things. No medicine cabinets, just flat mirrors. Just two drawers and space under the pipes in the cabinets. AND there is no where to put any other cupboards etc. They did this weird thing that extended the countertop over the top of the toilet, so we can't buy any of those cupboards that stand on the ground and are above the toilet. We might be able to get a small cupboard that mounts on the wall, but we'll see.
There are other things that we are loving. We love our kitchen and eat in area. The layout just seems more family friendly. In our old house I would sometimes feel stuck in the kitchen. Here everything is so much more open. I can see and hear and even talk to other people at the table and even in the great room just beyond the eat-in area. It's great!! It makes being in the kitchen a little more pleasant, although it is still not my favorite place to be (it's not just this kitchen, it's kitchens in general, and what goes on in kitchens, cooking, washing dishes,etc). We also love that there is so much space. I think it really does cut down on arguments, fights, etc. I'll take that!
The kids love the new laundry chute. Adam in particular. He is constantly asking me if I have anything for him to throw down the laundry chute. He also has taken to changing into pajamas way ahead of the game just so he can send things down the chute sooner. He will even come down to the kitchen which is right by the laundry room with a pair of socks or something and ask me if he can throw them down. He will then run back upstairs and throw them in. This morning he and Anna were even playing the laundry chute game. They were pretending to go down the laundry chute. They would start in our room where the laundry chute is and then run down both sets of stairs to the basement screaming, "AHHH!!! I'm going down the laundry chute!!" Adam, mister precision, counted how many times they did this. 10. He was going for 30 but Anna became disenchanted with this little exercise, and it just wasn't as fun by himself. (I bet there has never been a paragraph written that has the words laundry chute in it so many times).
All in all we are very happy. Of course we notice the quirks and oddities that this particular house has, but we can't complain. This is a very nice home with a lot of space, in a great neighborhood and awesome schools. We once again feel blessed, and realize that we really have been helped along in life. A lot. I know that bad things happen to good people, but so do good things.
2 comments:
I'm a big fan of laundry chutes too! I would love to have one someday. I'm so excited for you guys and hope that all the unpacking and making it "home" goes well!
You just have to start worrying when they try to throw Ben down the chute! I am excited to come see your new, fancy house.
Post a Comment